Glutinous Rice Balls ‘Tang Yuan’ with Black Sesame Paste
Glutinous Rice Flour
Red Food Colouring
Black Sesame Powder
(thickly sliced or bruised)
Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar)
How to cook
For Basic Tang Yuan
- Add water a little at a time to the flour to make a pliable dough that is not too wet. The tension should feel like the bottom of your ear lobe.
- Roll into balls of about 1″ in diameter. (Optional: Separate a portion of the dough, add the food colouring, knead and roll into balls.)
- Cover with a wet towel while not being used to prevent it from drying out.
- Prepare a large, preferably wide bowl or pot and fill with iced water or water at room temperature.
- Boil at least 3″ of water in a pot. Add each ball into the boiling water.
- Once a ball floats, scoop it out and transfer to the iced water to stop it from cooking and prevent sticking.
- Serve ‘tang yuan’ balls in a bowl of ginger syrup.
For Black Sesame Tang Yuan
- Mix black sesame powder with clarified butter and gula melaka. Microwave for 30 seconds if the butter is not soft enough.
- Make the tang yuan dough using the Basic Tang Yuan recipe (above).
- Flatten a ball of dough into a circular shape. Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of stuffing and carefully wrap the dough around it.
- Cook and serve the ‘tang yuan’ balls in a bowl of ginger syrup.
Prepare the ginger syrup
- Boil water in a pot.
- Add ginger, pandan leaves and rock sugar (adjust according to taste).
- Boil for about 5 minutes. Remove the ginger and pandan leaves.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Golden Chef Razor Clam Meat Patty
Sugar-Free Tang Yuan
Abalone & Seafood Pao Fan
Kam Heong Prawns
Muah Chee4.5 (2)
Cantonese Roast Chicken Stuffed with Rice
Prawn Rice Rolls
Strawberry Mochi5.0 (1)
Thai Pork Ball Porridge
Har Cheong Gai1.0 (1)
Durian Sticky Rice
Coconut & Pomelo Mochi Pudding
Crepes With Caramelised Apples
Cow with tiger head bento
CNY Hotpot Dipping Sauce
CNY Royal Umbrella Rice YuSheng
Treasured Sesame Oil Duck
Prosperity Pen Cai
Rose-Flavoured Glutinous Rice Balls
Braised Sea Cucumber and Mushroom
Mala Black Fungus
Sweet Glutinous Rice Balls
Wok-Fried Tangy Prawns with Sesame Soy Dressing